Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #1

5th wheel stabilizer install

I got this done a several weeks ago before I busted my ankle but it took until now to write it up. So here goes. Lots of pics

First 3 pics are before stabilizers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 front01.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	269

Name:	002 front02 side.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	270

Name:	003 rear side01.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	271

Grab the necessary tools. Missing from the pic is a 5/16” drill bit and a 1/8” drill bit. And of course the extra beverages in the fridge.

Name:	004 gather tools01.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	272
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

Stabilizers. 4 for the front and 2 for the back.

Name:	005 parts01.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	277

Self tapping screws and replacement bolts for the rear scissor jacks.

Name:	006 parts02.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	278

Close-up of rear stabilizer mounting bracket.

Name:	007 parts03.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	279

Close-up of frame mounting bracket.

Name:	008 parts04.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	280
Old 07-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #3

First I hooked my truck up to the trailer so I could raise and lower my jacks. This is not in the instructions but I felt that this would help me be more accurate in the installation.In fact the instructions start out “With your jacks down, start by positioning a tube assembly from the jack back to the frame of the RV like it is in the up position.” Having the landing gear (jacks) down is not necessary. I have the luxury of being able to park my rig at my house and have a concrete driveway. I was able to raise the landing gear up and set the max “height” that I would travel with. This is the lowest that I feel comfortable having my gear down while traveling. As a result of having my gear in the up position, I am able to mount to the landing gear 1st instead of the frame as per the instructions, “Attach the large end [outside tube] to the frame with 1 drill screw”. To me attaching to the gear first made sense while they were up as I could be certain that the stabilizers would be at their maximum retracted position (minus 1 inch) while the gear were in the up position.

They state in their instructions “There are many variables with different jacks. Our solution is to be open to phone discussion either before or during installation so we can provide specifics for your particular situation.” And definitely take them up on the phone support. If they do not answer right away, leave a message. Dutch and Diana are full-time RV’rs and sometimes do not have very good cell service and have to get to “higher ground”.

Here I’m judging the spacing needed for where the bracket would mount. I lost about 2 pin holes, nothing major.

Name:	009 placement01.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	281

I placed some black duct tape around the jack to indicate the lowest I was comfortable keeping the landing gear down while traveling. This is a judgment call based on the rear of the truck, distance between the truck and trailer and the height of the landing gear.

Name:	010 placement02.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	282

This is the inside of the right landing gear in the process of being finished. 1st step is to close the stabilizer and then back out about an inch so it will not bottom out while retracting the landing gear. Next I eyeballed a spot to mount the bracket on the landing gear towards the outside edge of the leg as my gear is to the inside of the trailer’s frame. Some 5th wheel landing gear is located on the outside of the frame. In that case the mounting point of the bracket would be located to the inside edge of the landing gear on both sides. This is important to help prevent binding of the stabilizers. I had initially centered the bracket on the leg and experienced some binding. I called Dutch and explained the binding and he asked about placement of the bracket, when I told him I had it centered on the landing gear he told me to place it to the outer edge as my gear is located inside the frame. I then pre-drilled a 1/8” hole for the bottom hole on the bracket and then shot in the 1st self-tapping screw. Pre-drilling makes it a lot easier for the self-tapping screw to go in as it will not track to an undesired location. Then I attached the other end of the stabilizer (the outside hole) to the frame of the trailer again pre-drilling for the screw. At this point I had 1 screw in the landing gear and 1 screw in the frame. Next I needed to unfasten the bolt holding the stabilizer to the bracket at the frame to remove the pipe so I could shoot the other screws in each bracket. Neither bracket, landing gear or frame is nice and even lined up with anything as the frame and gear are not lined up with each other. This is normal. After I had reassembled the bracket at the frame I tried to lower and raise the landing gear to check for binding. It was binding a bit so I called Dutch and Diana the owners of Plugitright and Dutch informed me that I should remove the bolts from the brackets one at a time and use a 5/16” drill bit and run it through the bolt holes in each bracket while they were assembled (I.E. the brackets were mounted and the pipes were fitted through the brackets. This would allow for a scosh more play to reduce the binding. That’s what I’m doing here. It worked. Next was to reassemble the frame bracket and bolt combinations. Done with the first stabilizer. 3 more to go on the front.

Name:	011 attaching01.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	283

Here’s the right front landing gear with both stabilizers attached.

Name:	012 attaching02.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	284

On the right front side frame stabilizer mount, I had the pleasure of mounting right next to the gas line. This made for drilling out the bracket quite interesting but I muddled through it. Notice the circular scrape in the siding where I had un-screwed one of the self-tapping screws to disassemble and reassemble the bracket pipe combination?

Name:	013 attaching03.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	285
Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

Here is a front on pic of the stabilizers installed. My truck is now unhooked.

Name:	014 front attached01.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	286

Here is a side pic of the front stabilizers. Notice the slop in the landing gear. My old 5th wheel didn’t have this slop. I believe this is one of the reasons that this trailer was never as stable as my old one. I’m hoping these stabilizers will solve that.

Name:	015 front attached02.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	287

The rear landing gear was pretty straight forward after installing the front gear. Remove one of the original bolts in the scissor jacks and replace with one of the supplied 3 ½” bolts and attach the landing gear. Retract the scissor jacks to the full up position and then mount the frame brackets remembering to pre-position the stabilizer with about 1 inch of extra play so it won’t bottom out. Ream brackets with drill after mounted and now we’re done.

Name:	016 rear attached01.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	288

This is a bad picture I know but after a few beers and the position of the sun I really didn’t feel like making it look better. Anyway this is taken from underneath the trailer looking back with the scissor jack down and the stabilizer locked. The frame cross member that I mounted to wasn’t very wide, in fact it was a PITA to get the frame bracket to line up so both screws would hit metal.

Name:   017 rear attached02.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  148.9 KB
Old 07-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #5

I have yet to camp in the trailer after the installation to give a good review on how they work with use. A broke ankle puts a damper on things. But I can say that after the install and having the stabilizers locked, pushing on the side of the trailer produced very little sway. Before stabilizers I was able to rock the trailer quite a bit just by pushing on it. So far I’m pleased with them and the service I received from Dutch and Di from Plugitright. I guess I’ll find out at the end of August on whether or not these were worth the money.

greg
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #6

Dutch & Di

I've noticed that you have joined our little forum. Please feel free to post and comment on my install.

Thank you for your phone support.

Can't wait to put them to the test.

greg
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
RAC

and 1 shiner barf
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #8

No more Rock'n !!!
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #9

They may come a knock'n!!
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
So, did 'hw' install them for you, what with being crippled and all?

Actually they look really great!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
So, did 'hw' install them for you, what with being crippled and all?

Actually they look really great!
I got the install done before busting my ankle up. I was just lagging in posting this thread. I'm thinking they will work out great, I just wish I wouldn't have gotten busted up because I'd be testing them out this upcoming weekend already. As it is I have to wait until the end of August. Hopefully by then I'll be able to put some weight on my foot, otherwise I'll be crawling into the trailer.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
RAC

If you drink too many shiner barfs you'll be crawling anyway.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 PM   #13

Nice post 'gotnun!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #14

I modified previous instructions as I had posted the wrong drill bit size. It should be a 5/16" and not a 3/8". Thanks Dutch for catching that!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
RAC

hard to make a hole smaller once you drilled it.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #16

I would like to know more about these stabilizers, such as cost ,where to buy them,ect. I've been looking at something very simailer,to this style. I seen them online at campers world. any information will help!!! thanks you. jim
jameseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
RAC

Shoot a PM to aintgotnun, he's the man with this
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameseh View Post
I would like to know more about these stabilizers, such as cost ,where to buy them,ect. I've been looking at something very simailer,to this style. I seen them online at campers world. any information will help!!! thanks you. jim
There are 2 players out there

http://plugitright.com/Page3.html
$290 shipped

http://www.jtrv.com/our_products.html
$400 + shipping

I went with the Plugitright brand.

greg
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #19

OK, it’s time for a review of the Plugitright stabilizers

This past weekend we went camping at Huntsville State Park in Huntsville, Texas (funny how that works out ain’t it’). We were fortunate to get a very nice paved spot as a lot of state parks in Texas have gravel spots, in fact Huntsville is upgrading and is doing a great job. It is so much nicer then I remember 6 years ago. The spot while paved was not level, (don’t know that I’ve ever been on a level spot ever, not even my driveway) it had a downward slope to the rear and off by 1 inch on the door side of the trailer. No worries, easy enough to level.

The Plugitright stabilizers, since they are permanently attached to the trailer make for quick setup (fighting with my kingpin stabilizer was always a pain). The front end was rock solid. I attribute this to the dual stabilizers on each landing gear. The rear end left a bit to be desired. While it was more stable then with nothing other than the scissor jacks it did rock a bit. This I think came from the fact that the rear of the trailer was high and I had to stack about 5 inches of plywood squares under each jack. I’m thinking maybe if there was a way to attach a second set of stabilizers to each jack that it would help this?

I spoke with Diana on Friday while I was at the park and she had some questions regarding the way I did my install. The first question was regarding me hooking the trailer up to my truck and raising the landing gear. She said that they don’t normally do that and it is not necessary. I agree that it’s not necessary but I felt that for me it would be easier. Easier is always subjective. I also parked my trailer on my driveway for the install so I could use a creeper (my shed has a dirt floor). She also questioned why I installed the stabilizer to the landing gear first. She stated that they always installed to the frame first and then the landing gear as per their instructions. With the gear in the down position, installing to the frame first makes sense. With the gear up, installing to the gear first makes sense (to me anyway). I felt that with the gear up and marking the lowest spot that I felt comfortable traveling with the gear in the up position I could get a better placement of the stabilizers.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the Plugitright stabilizers. Relatively easy to install. Easy to setup and break down. Price was right. Great phone support and feedback from the owners.

greg
Old 09-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #20

I have JT's on my FR and love them. The big difference between thoes and the Jt's were I just remover the screws from the bottom plate of the jacks where you had to drill into the jack.
The whole key to making these jacks work properly is loading them. Once you have loaded them properly mine don't have any movement. They work as advertised at least for once
n3qdz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel