Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

PDEK Issues

Our 5r is now 6 months old. We had it in the shop for the first 2 months getting a slide repaired. Our latest issue is with the drop patio deck. It has become spongy very hard to assemble. We called our selling dealer and he said better get FR involved. I have now waited 2 months but nothing from Forest River and the dealer has stopped communicating. This is starting to get scary. First the slide would not retract and that repair took two months and now everybody we talk to says FR has a problem with these and nobody is getting answers. HELP!
Camper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Call forest river directly!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

I assume it was a new purchase and is under warranty. If so, contact Mr. Gregg Rollins at Forest River at grollins@forestriverinc.com. He and his entire staff are awesome people and they go out of their way to please their customers. I returned my 2015 2904ss to them and they replaced one side and the front cap along with many other smaller issues at the factory in Millersburg Indiana in a two week time frame. I cannot give Forest River too much praise. Great company to do business with!
dpowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Gregg Rollins works in the Rockwood/Flagstaff division, not the Sierra division, which is what the OP has.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:08 AM   #5

I've got the 345RETS version of that, FR quit talking to me after I finally managed to make contact, now it's back at the dealer hopefully for the last time getting some issues fixed but the dealer said that this isn't the first time Sierra has just quit talking, to the point that he said they're considering dropping the brand from their lineup.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper John View Post
Our 5r is now 6 months old. We had it in the shop for the first 2 months getting a slide repaired. Our latest issue is with the drop patio deck. It has become spongy very hard to assemble. We called our selling dealer and he said better get FR involved. I have now waited 2 months but nothing from Forest River and the dealer has stopped communicating. This is starting to get scary. First the slide would not retract and that repair took two months and now everybody we talk to says FR has a problem with these and nobody is getting answers. HELP!

Was it the slide that has the fridge in it? Do you know specifically what was causing the problem?

We are considering the 378fb & it has a massive slide that holds the fridge & we made the dealer show us that the slides were working correctly. Sure enough it was NOT! It was out of alignment on the fridge side & making all these loud clunking noises.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I've got the 345RETS version of that, FR quit talking to me after I finally managed to make contact, now it's back at the dealer hopefully for the last time getting some issues fixed but the dealer said that this isn't the first time Sierra has just quit talking, to the point that he said they're considering dropping the brand from their lineup.

Good luck, keep us posted.

What issues are you having with your Sierra?

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
What issues are you having with your Sierra?

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
The front cap leaked and would collect water from the start, it's back at the dealer trying to get that fixed, the kitchen slide wasn't aligned correctly, which I had to fix as the dealer said they wouldn't. Various halogen lights randomly quit working, they won't fix, one brake light quit, they did fix, the water filter housing wouldn't stay on so I swapped it for a GE filter housing.

The frame for the fresh tank collapsed, I repaired that as the dealer said it wasn't a warrantable issue.

One of the rear windows leaked which was a fiasco to get resolved.

And finally, the stupid frame is bending at the right rear spring perch. I'm going to be forced to fix that myself because it's not causing the tires to wear funny. It's causing the spring pack to deflect, but that's no concern.

Between FR and my dealer I've had to do a lot of repairs that should be covered by warranty. If Georgia lemon law covered it we would be in arbitration right now.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

That massive kitchen slide on the 378fb is what I'm worried about. It looks like the same size as the 360pdek and it was already out of alignment at the dealership and it just arrived brand new from the factory. There's some serious quality issues with this brand.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 11-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

SKnight
It sounds like you have a frame problem, the tank falling down and the bend by the spring. Our camper has broken cross members over the axles and has a bend behind the street side rear spring hanger. The braces that hold the tanks up where starting to come loose. I would suggest taking a closer look.
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscribner View Post
SKnight
It sounds like you have a frame problem, the tank falling down and the bend by the spring. Our camper has broken cross members over the axles and has a bend behind the street side rear spring hanger. The braces that hold the tanks up where starting to come loose. I would suggest taking a closer look.
Oh I'm not dismissing it. They are.

The tank was "My" fault. I used the regulator, hooked the hose up and started filling the tank as I continued packing. Apparently the hose can outflow the vent, because a few minutes later I heard the frame for the fresh tank give out. It ended up being pressurized because water couldn't get out fast enough. So I built a valve that allows me to cut the flow rate. It takes forever to fill now, but at least that won't happen again.

I have no idea how the primary frame bent. The right rear spring mount is bent outwards at about a 20* angle. In my ownership it's not seen a hard hit, it's not run over anything. The rail is straight, it's like something hit it from the side kicking the perch out. It's got the spring pack misaligned, but they say it's not detrimental. Right. It's because the tires are wearing nicely, that's their only defense of their action.

I'm going to write out something basically stating it won't be an issue and that they assure and assume it will never cause a problem. The service and general manager will sign it before I leave.

But odds are I'll just fix that myself too. Framework isn't hard, just a matter of pressure and heat.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post

I have no idea how the primary frame bent. The right rear spring mount is bent outwards at about a 20* angle. In my ownership it's not seen a hard hit, it's not run over anything. The rail is straight, it's like something hit it from the side kicking the perch out. It's got the spring pack misaligned, but they say it's not detrimental.

I'm going to write out something basically stating it won't be an issue and that they assure and assume it will never cause a problem. The service and general manager will sign it before I leave.
If I was a betting man I'd bet your frame was made by LCI. Its easy to tell...just look at any weld and if it looks like a 1st grader welded it thats LCI. Most likely there will also be a label on it somewhere.They start out welders @ $12 hr I have heard, no experience required. The frames they make for small trailers are borderline at best, 5ers I can only Imagine. If so you probably could make it much better with little work if you know how to weld.

I'd get that document signed by the owner. You never know how long the GM or SM will be there, and are they even legally able to sign such a document? Id also want a witness or to have it notarized. They will probably balk at signing that regardless. Good luck
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper John View Post
What's "Spongy" on your deck, could you elaborate on this? Mine is solid and have had no issues with it. Only thing to assemble is to raise the rails which is a matter of pulling four pins, raising the railing and reinstalling the pins. Just curious what the issue is.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #14

I have been away from the Forums for a few days and need to reply to some questions about my problems. First off, the spongy feel is just that it feels like we are walking on a stiff sponge. Because the floor is spongy #2 the assembly of the side fences is very hard to do and get the rear gate to latch properly. I have emailed Mr. Johnson at Sierra warranty several times with no response. His voice mail is continuously unanswered also. It took me over two months to resolve the slide issue with an authorized repair facility and had to resolve a lien they placed on the coach because the bill didn't get paid. I'm not having a warm & fuzzy about our purchase and because these issues are major repairs not little stuff our concerns are growing.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

On your hand rail issue, you can drill out additional holes on the feet to level. It's very easy to do and will allow your gate to close properly. The spongy feel may be the large springs pulling the deck up and then the cables catching as weight is added. Ours does this and it does feel strange at first.
Ours is has had issues, fresh water tank fell out, water in nose cone and a cracked island counter top. Our dealer has been great and fixed everything under warranty.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
On your hand rail issue, you can drill out additional holes on the feet to level. It's very easy to do and will allow your gate to close properly. The spongy feel may be the large springs pulling the deck up and then the cables catching as weight is added. Ours does this and it does feel strange at first.
Ours is has had issues, fresh water tank fell out, water in nose cone and a cracked island counter top. Our dealer has been great and fixed everything under warranty.
The spongy deck is a surface issue is not the cable tensioning. I have no desire to drill additional holes as the gate closed and latched just fine until the deck issues began. But thanks for your comments.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

The problem was a misalignment of the slide guides on the kitchen super slide. The repair facility said it was the worst case of engineering they had ever seen. They worked with Lippert to re-engineer the entire slide mechanism. I was very lucky that I had a talented repair shop. BUT! They won't work on the PDEK because they said it was a materials issue and nobody had changed the materials they use. OUCH!!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
Retired Retail/Importer

I just picked up our new 360PDEK last week and today the Dometic A/C is not working the thermostat says E-1 which is an error but I can't get it to reset....it shows a zone 4 when we only have 2 zones...
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Retired Retail/Importer

Dometic A/C

any help on a Dometic A/C thermostat error showing E1?
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote