Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Question Using Scissor Jacks For Winter Storage

Still relatively new at the trailering game and trying to stumble my way through the first few years.

I am thinking of blocking my single axle trailer for the winter, however was wondering about the option of just using a couple of 3,000lb scissor jacks as a substitute for blocking the trailer up for the winter. The trailer is only 3500lbs well with in the limits of the 6,000 lb capacity of the 2 jacks. Is there anyone that thinks this is a bad idea ? Just looking at taking the load off the tires for the duration of our -30 degree winters up here in Canada. Feedback from the veteran forum members greatly appreciated.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Still relatively new at the trailering game and trying to stumble my way through the first few years.

I am thinking of blocking my single axle trailer for the winter, however was wondering about the option of just using a couple of 3,000lb scissor jacks as a substitute for blocking the trailer up for the winter. The trailer is only 3500lbs well with in the limits of the 6,000 lb capacity of the 2 jacks. Is there anyone that thinks this is a bad idea ? Just looking at taking the load off the tires for the duration of our -30 degree winters up here in Canada. Feedback from the veteran forum members greatly appreciated.
If it were me, I would use the jacks, but put them on the frame where the front spring hangers attach and take the wt off the springs also. Jack stands or blocking on the frame would be safer if there are kids around.
Jacks are just not that stable.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
If it were me, I would use the jacks, but put them on the frame where the front spring hangers attach and take the wt off the springs also. Jack stands or blocking on the frame would be safer if there are kids around.
Jacks are just not that stable.

Thanks Dunnnc ! My unit is equipped with a beefy 6000 lb torsion axle (no springs) I was thinking of placing the jacks just under the axle in line with where it meets the frame.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks Dunnnc ! My unit is equipped with a beefy 6000 lb torsion axle (no springs) I was thinking of placing the jacks just under the axle in line with where it meets the frame.
DO NOT JACK on the axle. Go in front of the axle on the frame
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
DO NOT JACK on the axle. Go in front of the axle on the frame

Alrighty, thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Jacking Point On Torsion Axle.

Quote:
Alrighty, thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes
I was a little bit curious as to why one would not be able to jack a torsion axle where it meets the frame of the trailer, so I contacted the manufacturer of the axle (Dexter) I had installed and in fact they advised "it is okay to jack the axle as long as you do so at the frame point."
I was somewhat not surprised as "physics" would tell me the axle is already supporting the total weight of the frame at that point. Lifting it at that point will not change the weight load on the axle.

Here is the email response I received from Dexter.

You could jack at that point as long as there is not a heavy load in the trailer. If you would jack on the axle tube that isn't supported by the frame you could cause the axle to bend.

Rick Kapsa | Product Manager
Dexter Axle - Company Headquarters
rkapsa@dexteraxle.com ~ direct tel: (574) 296-7386
fax: (574) 295-1069 ~ main tel: (574) 295-7888 2900 Industrial Parkway East ~ Elkhart, Indiana 46516, USA Dexter | a Tomkins Company

-----Original Message-----
From: pchristensen@hydro.mb.ca [mailtochristensen@hydro.mb.ca] Posted At: Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:44 AM Posted To: Information
Conversation: Feedback
Subject: Feedback

The following email has been generated by a contact form on your website at dexteraxle.com/ask_the_expert/. Reporting this email as spam will cause your site to be reported for spamming.

What would you like to ask our team of experts? I just purchased and installed a 6K torsion axle from Dexter on my single axle trailer. Thanks for your great product. I intend on alleviating some of the load off the trailer hubs/rims/tires for winter storage. A lot of RV forums advise against jacking a trailer by the "torsion axle", however I do not see why this would be an issue if the axle is jacked at the exact point it contacts the trailer frame ? This is the logical place for me to jack the trailer (anywhere else is problematic). Your feedback would be appreciated.
Name Paul Christensen
Daytime Phone Number 204-360-7954
Email Address pchristensen@hydro.mb.ca
Would you like to join our mailing list for product updates and special
offers?: Yes
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan