Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #21

Good to hear Prothos. It is also important to ensure the torsion arms are at the correct angles. 3 in. clearance is correct. I now have the correct clearance but the torion arm angles do not meet the criteria. That is to say the arms are at the fully loaded trailer angles when the trailer is empty. I'm concerned that once the trailer is loaded the torsion arms will bottom out causing an unsafe condition. I'm waiting for an answer from Dexter. Will keep you posted. The NTHSA has been alerted. Serge
Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #22

Measurements and pics

Got out today and measured mine. From the top of the tire and the wheel well, there is approximately 1.5" of clearance. This is on the street side.
Measured from the gutter to the ground, and got 110".

Then I measured the curb side tires and gutter to compare heights. 111" on the gutter. The gutter heights are almost meaningless, I know. But it may give me a point of reference in the future. The tire clearance is virtually the same on both sides. No signs of rubbing on the wheel wells or the tires. I'll keep my surgically repaired 4 eyes on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1350.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	39901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	39902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	39903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1356.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	39904  
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #23

Anyone?

Negative contact, over and out.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Happy owner SOB

I did about the same yesterday on my 3008W. 1 1/2" on street side and about 2" on door side. No rubbing yet but we are VERY lightly loaded so far. These measuremants were with all tanks empty. So far the email address I have tried at Forest River have bounced as bad addresses but I will keep trying. Still not sure if I believe the axles are defective, incorrect or what...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tires 001.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	39911   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	39912   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	39913   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires 004.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	39914  
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Anyone?

Negative contact, over and out.
Timex, mine had about 1 1/2" between the top of the tire and the inside top of the wheel housing on the door side, and only about 1" on the slide side. I could only get 2 fingers in on the door side, only 1 on the slide side. Dealer ordered spacers from FR and installed them yesterday. Now at least 3 inches of clearance on each side. Torsion arms look OK, too...maybe 20 to 30 degree angle w/ trailer pretty much unloaded.

I had the dealer check and there was no sign that my tires had ever rubbed on the top of the wheel well, and no marks on the tires, so I lucked out there. But the clearance definitely had to be increased. Dealer was great to work with. Kudos to BILL THOMAS CAMPER SALES in Wentzville, MO.

If you only have 1 to 1.5 inches of clearance, I'd suggest you talk to your dealer. Whole thing was done at no charge.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Happy owner SOB

You say 20 to 30 degree on the arms, mine are slightly less than 90 on the door side,(angled down) giving more clearance and slightly more (angled up) on the street side, giving less clearance.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #27

Hello to everyone. Just to let you all know that FR has admitted that there is a problem with the wheel to wheel well clearance on some of the units. Steps have been taken to correct this at the factory. The proper fix is the lift kit for the affected units. The factory engineer determined that my trailer is fixed and the torsion arms are at their proper angle concerning my 2013 Rockwood 3008w TT. Hopefully my lengthy ordeal with this TT is over. We are slowly preparing for our departure to Rockport in south Texas for the winter. Hopefully the factory will contact the affected trailer customers. If you have an issue contact your dealer or FR. Good luck to you all. Serge
Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac rv View Post
Hello to everyone. Just to let you all know that FR has admitted that there is a problem with the wheel to wheel well clearance on some of the units. Steps have been taken to correct this at the factory. The proper fix is the lift kit for the affected units. The factory engineer determined that my trailer is fixed and the torsion arms are at their proper angle concerning my 2013 Rockwood 3008w TT. Hopefully my lengthy ordeal with this TT is over. We are slowly preparing for our departure to Rockport in south Texas for the winter. Hopefully the factory will contact the affected trailer customers. If you have an issue contact your dealer or FR. Good luck to you all. Serge

You said that your clearance issue is fixed, how much clearance do you have.

I seem to have 4 inches on my Hemisphere.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #29

Called my dealer yesterday and told them my situation. Of course, they played dumb to the news and said they had never heard of something like this. He said they do offer an "Alignment Kit" that they can install for $750+ tax! I was very polite(for a change) and asked if he had a contact to Forest River that I may call and see if they knew anything about it. He gave me the phone # and email of someone. We are now in the initial stage of compiling information to start a case file. Hope this goes well and fast; I've got a trip planned in 4 weeks!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #30

Brother Les. I have the reqired 3 inches of clearance after the istallation of the Dexter lift kit. According to FR I'm good to go. Serge
Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #31

My answer from Forest River

After a few days of emails/phone calls, I got this response from Forest River.

In answer to you question, I am providing a break down of your torsion axle and the min/max range. You trailer does not have a issue, the clearance you have is prefect to Vlites specs. The problem in the field just pertains to certain models, not yours.

Data Pulled from Dexter and tire manufacture specs

A = Measurement from the floor bottom to the top of the axle bracket (11 .625 ”)

A

• Measurement to the top of the axle bracket from the spindle center (No Load) = 6.79”
  • Measurement to the top of the axle bracket in shock load (Worse Case) = 3.32”
  • Floor to axle bracket measurement (11 .625 ”) + Shock Measurement, spindle to top of bracket (3.32”) = 14. 945 ”
  • ST225/75R15 Dimensions Width 28.30 divide in half = 14.15 (Not Static Loaded, could lower it up to ½”)
This leaves . 795 ”(over 3/4") with unloaded tire, in extreme shock (NOTE THIS IS EXTREME - going over a railroad/pothole to fast, fully loaded to the trailers GVWR)

With this measurement your measurement in within spec..

I'll get to measuring this weekend and do some comparisons. I had to give them my VIN# several times so it may very well apply to certain models. That means they are aware of the problems. Even if the specs I may find are as they say, I'll still have 1.5" of tire clearance. I may get it fixed by State Farm after a claim!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #32

Thanx for the info Timex! I'll do some measuring tomorrow too.
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #33

Hello Timex. Just to let you know that FR did admit that they had issues with some of their builds but had corrected the problem. The lift kit was the repair solution for mine and the engineer indicated that my torsion arm angles were correct and the trailer was safe. It's in writing and that's as good as it's going to get. Hopefully this will be the end of the problems with this TT for a while. Got to love those V nose trailers. Serge
Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #34

Timex what year and model do you have?
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #35

2012 30wrlts
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
Happy owner SOB

Does anyone have contact info for someone in the know at Forest River? Any e-mails I have all bounce as bad addresses.
Thanks!
Vern
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #37
freestyling

picking up my 2014 3008W next friday. i will definitely be measuring wheel clearance during the PDI..less than 3 in I dont think i want to give a check until fixed. Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyling View Post
picking up my 2014 3008W next friday. i will definitely be measuring wheel clearance during the PDI..less than 3 in I dont think i want to give a check until fixed. Thoughts?
I would agree with that, but I'm guessing they have the problem fixed at the factory by now. My 3008W was built in March as a 2014...among the first 2014s built...and I'm guessing the later 2013s and early 2014s were the ones affected.

But yes, if you only have 1" to 1 1/2", I'd sure let the dealer know about this thread, and have THEM get in touch with Rockwood before you accept it.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
freestyling

Thanks Capt. Mike. just wanted to ensure I wasn't being to "unreasonable" . Very excited and abit nervous from stepping up from a 29" Jayco TLS to the 3008 but with the new TV - 2013 GMC diesel CC 4x4 we decided to enjoy more creature comforts. I haven't decided if reading all the info on this site has been good or bad..LOL I find it alittle addicting!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
After a few days of emails/phone calls, I got this response from Forest River.

In answer to you question, I am providing a break down of your torsion axle and the min/max range. You trailer does not have a issue, the clearance you have is prefect to Vlites specs. The problem in the field just pertains to certain models, not yours.

Data Pulled from Dexter and tire manufacture specs

A = Measurement from the floor bottom to the top of the axle bracket (11 .625 ”)

A

• Measurement to the top of the axle bracket from the spindle center (No Load) = 6.79”
  • Measurement to the top of the axle bracket in shock load (Worse Case) = 3.32”
  • Floor to axle bracket measurement (11 .625 ”) + Shock Measurement, spindle to top of bracket (3.32”) = 14. 945 ”
  • ST225/75R15 Dimensions Width 28.30 divide in half = 14.15 (Not Static Loaded, could lower it up to ½”)
This leaves . 795 ”(over 3/4") with unloaded tire, in extreme shock (NOTE THIS IS EXTREME - going over a railroad/pothole to fast, fully loaded to the trailers GVWR)

With this measurement your measurement in within spec..

I'll get to measuring this weekend and do some comparisons. I had to give them my VIN# several times so it may very well apply to certain models. That means they are aware of the problems. Even if the specs I may find are as they say, I'll still have 1.5" of tire clearance. I may get it fixed by State Farm after a claim!
I got out and made some measurements and took pictures and sent them back to Forest River. Their response was that my unit is "within specs". I didn't exactly know what part was the top of the axle bracket. And I couldn't get to the floor bottom because of the plastic underbelly. I didn't want to start taking off the underbelly just to make a measurement. I also measured from the wheel well to the frame and axle. Here is 2 more pics. Like I said before, if it causes a problem, I'll let State Farm take care of it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	40322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	40323  

Tags