Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Horrible Forest River Warranty Customer Service

Long story short I took my new Forest River Surveyor 240RBS in for warranty work after owning the trailer for 85 days (12/21/16). Issues included shower door that hits bottom of shower frame hard to close, slide out leaks on both sides of slide, leaking toilet, led awning lights quit working, and dinette table made too small to properly fit on supports when used as a bed.

Dealer didn't file paperwork to warranty till 2/21/16. Around 3/16/16 dealer started work on issues and pretty much had them all fixed that week. However, the only item left was the shower door that Forest River won't approve the fix for.

When Forest River approved the repair for the shower door issue they thought it was just going to be an adjustment. Well, the technician looked at it and he basically determined it was the door frame or shower door that was out of square and no adjustment can be made to fix the issue. I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I tried to adjust the door before taking it to the dealer. So, to fix that the shower enclosure needs to be rebuilt. Well Forest River didn't agree and they wanted proof so they had the dealer take lots of photos. Forest River says they can't see the issue and keeps denying the claim.

Well, it is hard to see this issue sitting at computer several hundred miles away. Why don't they trust the technician assigned to work on the damn door? Customer is left in the middle between the dealer and manufacturer arguing over whether there's an issue or not.

I sent an email to Forest River Warranty department expressing my dissatisfaction with how they are handling the issue. At this point I know my dealer would get the issue fixed right away if they approve what needs to be done. The warranty representative basically told me they now want the vendor to inspect the shower which would include dealer disassembling the shower frame/door, have the dealer ship it to the vendor, the vendor would then inspect the parts, most likely determine issue from factory, new parts made, then shipped back to dealer to fix.

No telling how long that will take. Trailer has been at dealer 3.5 months right now. That's going to add at least another month or two if I'm lucky. It's going to be at the dealer for more than half of the first year of warranty. I'm also losing about $800 a month by not being able to utilize the trailer. I travel for work, so staying in hotels instead of in my trailer.

Anyone have a contact for a higher level representative in Forest River that can help me? I'm pretty sure I burned the bridge with the contact I've had with my last email to them.
memsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Send an pm to frog Bob he may be able to assist you getting in contact with the right person.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Site Team

You wrote "I sent an email to Forest River Warranty department." Did you send an email directly to the people who handle warranty for Surveyor?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
You wrote "I sent an email to Forest River Warranty department." Did you send an email directly to the people who handle warranty for Surveyor?
Yes, if you follow all the contact us links on their website you can select the warranty/service person that works on your model of RV. From there it was several emails back and forth over the last 2 weeks.

Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Where are you located? If you are reasonably close to the factory, they "MAY" allow you to stop in, with an appointment, and they would look at it themselves. The have done many repairs at the factory and usually do some "extras" for you for your troubles. A friend of ours drove from Ontario Canada and was treated very well. Need to make phone calls, emails are not that grate.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Go to the factory or sign up for the Goshen Rally in Aug, The problem will be taken care of.

Nights Out: 2010=104, 2011=118, 2012=96, 2013=114, 2014=120 & 2105=112
Flnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Not 100% sure if this is still valid, but contact Susan Thornberg at Forest River Surveyor/Rpod Division You can either call her at 574-642-3119 Ext. 205 or email her at sthornberg@forestriverinc.com. She oversees Service and Warranty.

If nothing else, contact Bob Byrne-- info is at www.forestriverfrog.com
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

memsu,
I sure hope you get your problems straightened out. Things like this can be very frustrating.

I realize you have concerns with how the 'factory' is handling your issue but I do have to point out a few things that possibly have gone overlooked.

One... you said you dropped off the unit to the dealer on 12/21 and that he didn't submit warranty work until some 60 days later on 2/21. I'm wondering what that hold up was? Why would they make you an appointment to drop off your unit and not submit a warranty review until so much later? Maybe if they had looked at it in a timely manner you wouldn't be up against the wall you are now?

Two... you mentioned the 'factory' approved what they thought was just going to be an adjustment to the shower door (and approved that) but bulked when they found out it was going to take more than that. Who informed the factory (and when) that it was just going to need an adjustment? Sounds like maybe the dealer tech didn't understand what it would take to fix it. In the factory's defense, they approved a repair and then it sounds like the dealer went back to the factory and said... oh wait... that didn't work... we need to replace the shower. I would bet this is the reason they now need proof. They got the run around from the dealer the first time and paid him to make adjustments that didn't fix the problem.

Reading between the lines, it 'appears' your dealer may not be doing you any favors.
Sounds like some of this frustration needs to be directed towards the dealer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Funny as I had a similar issue and had it fixed by FR techs at the Rally last year. Something fishy here. Sounds like dealer may not know how to correct. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by memsu View Post
Long story short I took my new Forest River Surveyor 240RBS in for warranty work after owning the trailer for 85 days (12/21/16). Issues included shower door that hits bottom of shower frame hard to close, slide out leaks on both sides of slide, leaking toilet, led awning lights quit working, and dinette table made too small to properly fit on supports when used as a bed.

Dealer didn't file paperwork to warranty till 2/21/16. Around 3/16/16 dealer started work on issues and pretty much had them all fixed that week. However, the only item left was the shower door that Forest River won't approve the fix for.

When Forest River approved the repair for the shower door issue they thought it was just going to be an adjustment. Well, the technician looked at it and he basically determined it was the door frame or shower door that was out of square and no adjustment can be made to fix the issue. I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I tried to adjust the door before taking it to the dealer. So, to fix that the shower enclosure needs to be rebuilt. Well Forest River didn't agree and they wanted proof so they had the dealer take lots of photos. Forest River says they can't see the issue and keeps denying the claim.

Well, it is hard to see this issue sitting at computer several hundred miles away. Why don't they trust the technician assigned to work on the damn door? Customer is left in the middle between the dealer and manufacturer arguing over whether there's an issue or not.

I sent an email to Forest River Warranty department expressing my dissatisfaction with how they are handling the issue. At this point I know my dealer would get the issue fixed right away if they approve what needs to be done. The warranty representative basically told me they now want the vendor to inspect the shower which would include dealer disassembling the shower frame/door, have the dealer ship it to the vendor, the vendor would then inspect the parts, most likely determine issue from factory, new parts made, then shipped back to dealer to fix.

No telling how long that will take. Trailer has been at dealer 3.5 months right now. That's going to add at least another month or two if I'm lucky. It's going to be at the dealer for more than half of the first year of warranty. I'm also losing about $800 a month by not being able to utilize the trailer. I travel for work, so staying in hotels instead of in my trailer.

Anyone have a contact for a higher level representative in Forest River that can help me? I'm pretty sure I burned the bridge with the contact I've had with my last email to them.
1. I would be very concerned with the proposed process. If it was installed out of plumb, that will not be seen by removing the door. It seems too likely the parts will be sent back to the maker and they will say the parts are all fine. That gets you nowhere. If the parts are out of square, perhaps that will solve it. I realize that's the process FR is insisting on. Are there measurements and photos you can take to prove it's out of square or plumb? Top to bottom, side to side and diagonal across all items? If a door frame were out of square, one could prove it with a tape measure.

2. After purchasing our MH, we received a personal letter from the president of FR saying we want you to enjoy and use your MH and if it ever has to stay at the dealer more than 3 weeks to personally let him know and he will do everything he can to get it back in working order. Unfortunately I can't find our copy right now (!). Perhaps someone else can post a copy of their letter. In any event, letter or not, I would promptly send all the details directly to FR's president and demand that it get resolved immediately so you can use your RV again.

3. If the door has to be removed as requested, that does NOT mean your trailer has to sit at the dealer. You can easily install a temporary, expand-and-tighten shower rod and shower curtain and use your trailer until the dealer needs to work on it again. When they are ready to install the door, you can insist it not sit there for weeks. You are within your rights to insist they tell you exactly what day they will work on it and bring it in that day or the night before, and pick it up when done. If they are not going to work on it until April 15, there is no reason to bring it in on April 1 and let it sit there. "Dead time" at the dealer serves no one, not even them.

4. Good luck!!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flnomad View Post
Go to the factory or sign up for the Goshen Rally in Aug, The problem will be taken care of.

Correction; the problem MAY be taken care of. My washer usually does NOT start the wash cycle the first (or second or third time) I press and hold the "Start" button. The Dynamax techs were able to see (and duplicate) the problem but, were clueless as to getting it corrected. I load and "start" the wash cycle. Sometimes it will start "quickly"; sometimes it might start after a long (20~30 minute) delay and, sometimes it just doesn't start. I expect to be at the FROG Rally this summer and I WILL make a bigger stink about this. Not what's reasonable to expect on a Super C that has an MSRP of almost $300,000.00.

PS: after last year's FROG Rally, I WAS at the Dynamax factory for several days; still NO joy
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Quick update.

I got word from the dealer that their request to rebuild the shower enclosure was approved. They will order the parts and get to work on it. Let's see how long it takes to get it fixed.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Quick update.

I got word from the dealer that their request to rebuild the shower enclosure was approved. They will order the parts and get to work on it. Let's see how long it takes to get it fixed.
Now there's a piece of good news. Here's hoping this won't take too long.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
memsu,
I sure hope you get your problems straightened out. Things like this can be very frustrating.

I realize you have concerns with how the 'factory' is handling your issue but I do have to point out a few things that possibly have gone overlooked.

One... you said you dropped off the unit to the dealer on 12/21 and that he didn't submit warranty work until some 60 days later on 2/21. I'm wondering what that hold up was? Why would they make you an appointment to drop off your unit and not submit a warranty review until so much later? Maybe if they had looked at it in a timely manner you wouldn't be up against the wall you are now?

Two... you mentioned the 'factory' approved what they thought was just going to be an adjustment to the shower door (and approved that) but bulked when they found out it was going to take more than that. Who informed the factory (and when) that it was just going to need an adjustment? Sounds like maybe the dealer tech didn't understand what it would take to fix it. In the factory's defense, they approved a repair and then it sounds like the dealer went back to the factory and said... oh wait... that didn't work... we need to replace the shower. I would bet this is the reason they now need proof. They got the run around from the dealer the first time and paid him to make adjustments that didn't fix the problem.

Reading between the lines, it 'appears' your dealer may not be doing you any favors.
Sounds like some of this frustration needs to be directed towards the dealer.
I have no idea why it took so long to get the original round of paperwork in. It was winter and I really didn't mind it being at the dealer dealer during the coldest part of the year. I use the trailer when I work at job sites. So, it's my hotel during the week. Didn't want to deal with frozen hoses/pipes etc. So, good time to drop it off. However, I was planning on having it back by mid February and that didn't work out.

Regarding the shower door issue it was drug out a little longer because Forest River didn't approve the issue the first time around, because it didn't fall within their 90 day adjustment period. I dropped it off at the dealer on day 85 of ownership, but dealer didn't submit until after the 90 days. So, that all had to be straightened out. There are adjustment screws on the door, but there isn't any adjustment left. I mentioned the door or frame might be out of square when I took it to the dealer and it's documented on the paperwork I gave them. So, they treated it as an adjustment first, and when that won't work it becomes a bigger issue.

After having to go through the lemon law process with a 2006 Ford F150 I learned documentation is key. So, when taking my trailer to the dealer I had pictures of every single issue. I had descriptions of all of them as well. All this was given to the dealer to help them fix the issues. The dealer emailed all that to Forest River as well. This way everything is documented and there won't be any we can't replicate the issue.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quick update.

That is very encouraging news.
I hope all goes well and within your expectations.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
1. I would be very concerned with the proposed process. If it was installed out of plumb, that will not be seen by removing the door. It seems too likely the parts will be sent back to the maker and they will say the parts are all fine. That gets you nowhere. If the parts are out of square, perhaps that will solve it. I realize that's the process FR is insisting on. Are there measurements and photos you can take to prove it's out of square or plumb? Top to bottom, side to side and diagonal across all items? If a door frame were out of square, one could prove it with a tape measure.

2. After purchasing our MH, we received a personal letter from the president of FR saying we want you to enjoy and use your MH and if it ever has to stay at the dealer more than 3 weeks to personally let him know and he will do everything he can to get it back in working order. Unfortunately I can't find our copy right now (!). Perhaps someone else can post a copy of their letter. In any event, letter or not, I would promptly send all the details directly to FR's president and demand that it get resolved immediately so you can use your RV again.

3. If the door has to be removed as requested, that does NOT mean your trailer has to sit at the dealer. You can easily install a temporary, expand-and-tighten shower rod and shower curtain and use your trailer until the dealer needs to work on it again. When they are ready to install the door, you can insist it not sit there for weeks. You are within your rights to insist they tell you exactly what day they will work on it and bring it in that day or the night before, and pick it up when done. If they are not going to work on it until April 15, there is no reason to bring it in on April 1 and let it sit there. "Dead time" at the dealer serves no one, not even them.

4. Good luck!!
Yeah, I have proof in my email that the Warranty person over the Surveyor said they were going to request the dealer send the parts to the vendor to have them inspect them.

So, now that the dealer has the go ahead to rebuild the shower stall then apparently I won't have to wait for the vendor to inspect the door. Thank goodness.

If camper was strictly used for camping I wouldn't have cared much about the shower door. I got by putting a dime under the door support to raise it just enough that it was easier to pull up on the door to close. However, the fact that I use it 3 days out of the week it got kinda old, and the seal at the bottom of the door was tearing from contact with the door frame.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:
I have no idea why it took so long to get the original round of paperwork in. It was winter and I really didn't mind it being at the dealer dealer during the coldest part of the year. I use the trailer when I work at job sites. So, it's my hotel during the week. Didn't want to deal with frozen hoses/pipes etc. So, good time to drop it off. However, I was planning on having it back by mid February and that didn't work out.

Regarding the shower door issue it was drug out a little longer because Forest River didn't approve the issue the first time around, because it didn't fall within their 90 day adjustment period. I dropped it off at the dealer on day 85 of ownership, but dealer didn't submit until after the 90 days. So, that all had to be straightened out. There are adjustment screws on the door, but there isn't any adjustment left. I mentioned the door or frame might be out of square when I took it to the dealer and it's documented on the paperwork I gave them. So, they treated it as an adjustment first, and when that won't work it becomes a bigger issue.

After having to go through the lemon law process with a 2006 Ford F150 I learned documentation is key. So, when taking my trailer to the dealer I had pictures of every single issue. I had descriptions of all of them as well. All this was given to the dealer to help them fix the issues. The dealer emailed all that to Forest River as well. This way everything is documented and there won't be any we can't replicate the issue.
Memsu,

Did you reach out to Susan Thornberg at Forest River Surveyor/Rpod Division You can either call her at 574-642-3119 Ext. 205 or email her at sthornberg@forestriverinc.com. She oversees Service and Warranty.

SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveyorWI View Post
Memsu,

Did you reach out to Susan Thornberg at Forest River Surveyor/Rpod Division You can either call her at 574-642-3119 Ext. 205 or email her at sthornberg@forestriverinc.com. She oversees Service and Warranty.

No, I didn't.

I was travelling most of yesterday and didn't have time to contact her. I was going to do that today, but after getting word they have the go ahead to fix it I'll see what happens.

Thanks for providing this information though. I'm sure it will help someone in the future, or even me if this fix doesn't go as planned.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Quick update.

Great! Remember you can use it until the parts come in.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #20

I am beyond mad at my dealer right now. They said my unit was ready.

They had my unit for 4.5 months. I'm finding items they didn't fix that they said they fixed. About the only items they worked on was the shower door and the dinette table being too small (they just extended the supports).

Even when I picked up my camper the LED awning lights didn't work. The work order showed that was fixed. I watched them fix it right there in front of me. BTW there is a fuse behind the switch if your lights go completely out.

I noticed it didn't have a license plate tag. The tabs on the plate holder were broken. I found the tag inside. So, they are the ones that put the tag inside, but while unit was under warranty hey lets not replace the tag holder that's obviously broken. So, I watched them replace the tag holder with a metal one.

Now the items that really pissed me off. I have a tear in my slide out wiper from the screw heads on the slide out sticking out too far tearing the seal. Well It was dark on the slide out side of the shop when I looked at the unit and didn't notice it was still torn after the paperwork said all that was replaced. I had leaks around the slide out coming in from the schwintek rails and it said that both seals would be replaced. Well all they did was dab some black caulk on the schwintek rails and call it good.

There is a spot on the front vent where a bird had eaten a hole in the caulk. Well instead of spot sealing the hole with new caulk they just pushed the old caulk around the edges to fill the hole.

On the front hitch lights the chrome was flaking off taking the caulking with it. Well, they replaced the chrome light ring, but didn't even caulk it back.

Hell I could have done all these half ass repairs myself. I'm debating whether to go back to the dealer or just go straight to Forest River Corporate about this. I'm not going to wait another 4.5 months for this to get worked out. I can see the remaining items only taking a day of labor. Would it be out of the question to have them extend the factory warranty for 4.5 months or request that Forest River install a slide topper on the unit after all this?

Looks like I'll be sending this information to Susan Thornberg as one poster suggested earlier. I'm hoping she can find me a dealer that will actually do the work in a timely manner given that these "repairs" happened over 4.5 months.

Tags
customer service, forest river, service, warranty